What is nitrite?
Nitrite is produced by beneficial filtration bacteria as they break down the harmful waste ammonia excreted by the fish. Like ammonia, it is not visible to the naked eye. Although it is not as toxic as ammonia, nitrite is still very damaging to the health of the fish. Nitrite itself is broken down into nitrate, which is practically harmless to fish.
What is the correct nitrite level?
There is no occasion where any nitrite is tolerable in an aquarium. A level of zero mg/L (ppm) should be maintained at all times.
What do I do if the Nitrite level is wrong?
If 0.25 – 0.5 mg/l (ppm) of nitrite is found, then add Filter Starter. If a level above this is recorded, then a substantial water change is essential. Change 25% of the water volume for 1 mg/l (ppm) nitrite and 50% for nitrite levels above this. If any level of nitrite is detected Ammonia remover will remove ammonia (and thus nitrite) from the water and can be recharged. If you do record a nitrite level, then it is important to check other vital water quality parameters, especially pH and ammonia.
How to use?
- Ensure the test tube is clean.
- Take a 5 ml sample of water into the test tube.
- Add 5 drops of the Nitrite reagent.
- Replace the test tube cap and shake thoroughly.
- Wait 2 minutes, then compare the colour of the sample to the colour scale provided. Zero nitrite is represented by a colourless sample. Any hint of pink in the sample indicates the presence of nitrite in the water. Any colour forming after the two minutes should be ignored.
Click & Collect
- Express Pallet - large items & heavy orders
- EVRI Standard - dry goods up to 15kg - no aquariums
- EVRI Express - dry goods up to 15kg - no aquariums
- DX Dry Goods Express - dry goods up to 50kg - includes small aquariums
- DX Livestock Pre 1pm - no dry goods - despatched Thursday evenings for Friday pre 1pm delivery - FREE livestock delivery when you spend over £150
Prices are calculated at checkout.
If you are ordering courier livestock & dry goods please make a separate order these can't be sent together.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.