What is ammonia?
Ammonia is the main waste product produced by fish as a result of feeding. It can also be generated by the decay of uneaten food or decaying organic matter, such as plant leaves. It is invisible to the naked eye and its presence or absence cannot be determined by looking at the water alone. It is extremely toxic to the fish but is broken down into less toxic nitrite by the beneficial bacteria found in the filter.
What is the correct ammonia level?
There is no occasion where any ammonia is tolerable. A level of zero mg/l (ppm) should be maintained at all times.
What do I do if the ammonia level is wrong?
If a level of 0.2 mg/l (ppm) is found, add a filter booster such as Filter Starter If a level above this is found, then a substantial water change is essential. Change 25% of the volume for 0.5 – 1.0 mg/l (ppm) ammonia and 50% for ammonia levels above this. Add Ammonia Remover to the filter compartment to remove ammonia. If any amount of ammonia is found, then it is important to check other vital water quality parameters, in particular pH, KH and nitrite.
How to use?
- Ensure the test tube is clean.
- Take a 5 ml sample of water into the test tube.
- Add 5 drops of the reagent Ammonia 1, 5 drops of Ammonia 2 and 5 drops of Ammonia 3.
- Replace the test tube cap and shake thoroughly. Wait 10 minutes, then compare the colour of the sample to the colour scale provided. Zero ammonia is represented by a yellow colour. Any hint of green in the sample indicates the presence of ammonia in the water.
Click & Collect
Is available for anyone up to 30 miles from store (as the crow fly's) Delivery is £5.99-£11.99
Once your order is placed we will contact you to arrange a delivery date.
Anything in store can be delivered with this service.
Please note: delivery can take 1-7 days from order date. Because we need a minimum number of orders to justify sending a driver out in our delivery van.
- Express Pallet 2-3 days - large items & heavy orders
- Hermes Standard 2-4 days - dry goods up to 15kg - no aquariums
- Hermes Next Day 1-2 days - dry goods up to 15kg - no aquariums
- DX Dry Goods 1-4 days - dry goods up to 50kg - includes small aquariums
- DX Livestock Next Day Pre 1pm - no dry goods - despatched Thursday evenings for Friday pre 1pm delivery.
Prices are calculated at checkout.
If you are ordering courier livestock & dry goods please make a separate order these can't be sent together.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.