Spring has sprung & fairs, carnivals are in full swing.
We aren't saying don't pick up a goldfish on hook a duck etc.
Instead we'd like to offer some tips before parents or guardians allow their children to take part.
First of all let's get some truths & myths out of the way.
- "goldfish only grow to the size of the tank" in some cases this is correct but in most cases goldfish can reach up to 12"+ in small containers such as bowls etc. You wouldn't like to be stuck in a fiat 500 all your life ?
- "a bowl is more than suitable" now i will agree some large bowls can make good temporary homes for a year or two, eventually you will need to surrender the fish to a pond or buy a large aquarium.
- "ill just fill the bowl/tank with water, they don't need a air pump or filter" This is kind of a truth as long as regular full water changes are performed once a week using dechlorinated water. But of course add a filter or air pump where possible.
There is many more i could go on for days.
So what should you do ? Personally i'd have a good think, as this cheap win could cost your pocket in the long run. But if your more then ready for this task then of course drop us a message and we can best advise on a aquarium setup for your new gold friend & keep up with on going support ensuring they keep in tip top condition or even talk about keeping tropical fish as this seems daunting but in fact easier to keep then coldwater fish.
And on that note i'll leave you with some "pros & cons"
- Cheap little pet (most people's first fish, gets addictive real quick sorry)
- Easy maintenance
- Teaches kids a new hobby with responsibilities
- Grows big
- Requires a large aquarium including a filter and or air pump
- Regular maintenance
- Could get expensive
Thanks for reading.